I know not all of you homesteaders will agree with me, but I LOVE kindle. Don’t get me wrong…. There is nothing like the feel of a real book in my hands and I am not an advocate of paper books going away.
That said, even if you are a firm opponent of kindle books, hear me out. There are a ton of good reasons why you should learn to enjoy kindle books.
First of all, kindle books are almost always cheaper than the paper versions. Even better you can get a lot of kindle books for free if you know where to look. Free is free and I am always up for something I do not have to pay for. But this is not the ONLY reason why you should give kindle books a try if you have not already.
I think having a publishing medium where everyone is on an even footing can only be a good thing for the transfer of information.
Think about it, ANYONE can publish an ebook, so if you have a brilliant idea, are talented at something, or have a wealth of experience you just want to share, anyone can do so.
What does that mean to the reader? Well at the age of 50 I lived in a world were there was no Internet, no ebooks and knowledge was limited by what I could glean from books magazines and classes. Now granted that was a lot of information, but is was nothing when compared to what is available these days.
Just because you cannot get published in paper book format does not mean your ideas are not worth listening to. In fact some of the most creative, ingenious, and practical ideas I have learned have come to me since I started reading on the Internet and reading kindle books.
If you buy a book you get one person’s perspective on how to solve a problem, if you buy or obtain ebooks, and read blogs you get many people’s perspectives on how to solve a problem. Many of which might just be much better than the one in a book that cost you $30.
Electronic devices and technology in general have made the transfer of knowledge far more fluid, and that can never be a bad thing.
That being said, I have prepared a list of free or bargain ebooks for the home and the homestead. Please keep in mind I have not vetted this list in any way, I have merely provided the list for you to choose from.
One more thing, if you do not have a kindle, you can read these on your computer, tablet, or smart phone!
DISCLAIMER: At the time I wrote this post, these books were free or very cheap, please make sure to check the price BEFORE you click buy. I take no responsibility for accidentally buying books you did not mean to, always check first. Keep in mind too, that if you accidentally buy a book you do not want, Amazon does provide a way to undo the purchase.
1) How to Grow Your Own Sweet and Plump Grapes – FREE- Always wanted grapes? This book will show you how.
2) How To Grow Your Own Herbs At Home – FREE – This guide goes through where to put your herbs, what conditions they need to grow, and how to plant and care for them properly.
3) Gardening Basics For Beginners (Gardening Preparedness Series) -Free – If you are new to gardening this book will take you through the basics to make sure you get off to a good start.
4) Container Gardening: The Beginner’s Guide to Planting a Vegetable & Herb Garden without a Backyard (Quick and Easy Series) -Free- Even if you have no place for a garden you can still have a garden this book will show you how to start growing vegetables and herbs in containers.
5) How To Plant Your First Container Gardening -Free- Another book about container gardening
6) Permaculture Chicken: Pasture Basics -Free- This free ebook is more than just about how to feed and raising your chickens but how to do is to ensure optimal health of your flock.
7) Sovereign Living Guide to Backyard Chickens -Free – A hands on book from a family who started with 8 chickens and now has a flock of over 100.
8) How to Make a Quilt – Simple Sampler Quilt Pattern -Free- Quilting is something everyone can learn to do, learn to make your own patchwork quilt with these easy instructions.
9) Circle of Friends – 25 Pie, Crisp & Cobbler Recipes -Free- This recipe book comes from the Gooseberry Patch and is filled with Pie, crisp and cobbler recipes.
10) Gravy :The Ultimate Recipe Guide – Over 30 Delicious & Best Selling Recipes-Free- Everything you ever wanted to know about making homemade gravies.
11) Cake Making Made Easy – Instructions and 60 Cakes -Free- This book has 60 recipes as well as instructions on cake making. If you want to master cakes, this is a great time to do so.
12) Things Mother Used to Make A Collection of Old Time Recipes, Some Nearly One Hundred Years Old and Never Published Before -Free- This book is a true steal for homesteaders and those interested in a simpler life. These recipes are a selection of old time recipes, some never before published.
13) Candy Making Made Easy – Instructions and 17 Starter Recipes Free How to’s and recipes for the beginners.
14) Pumpkin Recipes :The Ultimate Recipe Guide – Over 30 Delicious & Best Selling Recipes -Free- Great Pumpkin Recipes perfect for fall.
15) The Survivalist Cookbook – Recipes for Preppers -Free – This book is for preppers, there are a 75+ recipes to keep you going in case of an disaster.
16) PICKLES AND RELISHES-TWENTY BLUE RIBBON CANNING RECIPES -Free- Quick and easy pickle and relish recipes.
17) How to Grow Squash: Planting and Growing Pumpkins, Zucchini, Summer and Winter Squash, Gourds, and Chayote -Free- How to grow squash, pumpkins, and zucchini. Learn everything from planting and feeding advice to how to deal with disease and pests.
18) How to Start Your Own Gardening Business -Free- Turn your passion and talents into cash, by learning to profit off of your garden.
19) Trailersteading: Voluntary Simplicity In A Mobile Home (Modern Simplicity) -Free – Ever dream of ditching the bills and the mortgage and living debt free, this is just one way to achieve that dream.